Thursday, October 2, 2008

Complaining about drs again

I don't think I ever followed up on this topic. I was thinking about it again this morning because I am finally getting around to reading Jenny McCarthy's book, Louder than Words. I liked Belly Laughs when I was pregnant, so I thought it would be nice to read about another mother's struggle with autism.

Of course I am still no the foreword since I get about 5 minutes to read in the morning while the kids eat breakfast. After those 5 minutes, the demands start hot and heavy and I am running around most of the morning. Apparently this morning the kids are hungry - I am on my third round of pancakes for them.

Anyways, the foreword is written my a doctor. Did you know that the "cause" of autism in the 50s and 60s, and likely before, was because the mom was cold and uncaring. Wow is all I have to say. Guess the "experts" knew what they were talking about back then, huh. For those of you who don't know me in person or haven't seen me with my kids -- while I complain about them at times, I am more likely to smother them with hugs and kisses then I am to ignore them. Even when I ignore a temper tantrum it only lasts as long as the temper tantrum lasts.

Regardless of all that, that smacks of stupidity anyways and it would be like someone saying it is because I work rather then stay home with the kids. I highly doubt that makes a shit bit of difference with my kids -- especially considering L was home with daddy for the first 8 months. I guess he isn't as loving? (I am laughing out loud about that because OMG B is WAY WAY more outwardly affectionate then even I am.)

The whole point of this... Doctors, in my opinion, rarely know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to psychological and behavioral things! I wish they could look back with the same skepticism that others have of them and think -- well in 1960 we "knew" X was the cause of autism and that turned out to be complete bullshit. My old pedi always talked to me because I was the decision maker in terms of "well recent research shows..."

But, the upside is that R did have his first pediatrician appointment outside of NY. Dr was nice. Didn't push for any shot to be done. Praised me for doing the early intervention referral already (actually said -- for language it is never too early) and sent us on our merry way.

Although I still miss Dr. B.

No comments: