Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The one where I actually acknowlege the youngest

As I have mentioned before - R is the best baby in the world. It is truly mind-boggling how much the kid smiles, how he rarely cries and how content he is to just watch what we are doing. L demands our attention. R rewards our attention.

It wasn't always this way. When he was first born, he demanded to be fed multiple times during the night, demanded to co-sleep or at least sleep while being held after about 3 in the morning and generally contributed to a few dark nights where I wondered just what the hell did we get ourselves into. With the first, they tell you to sleep when the baby sleeps. With the second, that is just not possible. Even keeping L in daycare for the first week only worsened our problems because he ended up bringing home yet another disease that resulted in two ruptured eardrums in R (earliest case that our pediatrician has ever seen -- not a title I relish).

However, now, he really is becoming the light in our household. L flocks to him. I find myself having a harder and harder time putting him down every morning and wanting to delay his bedtime more and more every night because he is so much fun to watch. With L, I wanted him to progess -- do the next fun milestone. With R, I don't want him to change at all, even though every change just seems to make him a more delightful child. It is sad to watch them grow, but so utterly amazing.

How could it get any better?

No comments: