Thursday, March 27, 2008

The house of 17

There were 17 people sleeping in my house last night.

And yes, you read that correctly -- 17! 14 adult males, 2 toddle males and me.

B works for a large company that uses Mexican workers who come for 9 months out of the year (all quite legal and they pay taxes and they spend a lot of money getting their visas, so no one jump on that issue, thank you very much). They arrived yesterday only to find the apartment they are renting was flooded as a result of the landlord turning off the heat in the winter to save money a pipe freezing and then rupturing when the heat was turned back on.

Why do I have a bad feeling this is going to end up being more of a slum lord? I mean seriously, very cold northeast winters... who in their right mind turns OFF the heat?

So B called me and used the I need somthing voice and of course I said it was fine for them to crash at our place for the night.

Our tiny 957sq foot house, mind you.

Honestly, you couldn't even tell they were there. Well, other than the stampeed through my kitchen when the food arrived. They had just spent 4 days on a bus coming from Mexico and were forever greatful to just have a place to shower and hot food to eat. Most of them were repeats from last years crew and knew Brett well and were thrilled to see him and the boys. L's favorite -- Barney -- was there too and L planted himself next to him for most of the evening and was jumping up and down next to him this morning trying to wake him up to play. Before i left for work this morning, Barney cleaned out B's car, starting my car so it would be warm (for my MILE drive to the train station -- yes, I am THAT lazy in the mornings!) and was at last seen headed to the backyard to clean up all the dog poop that has accumulated over the winter (since B won't do it until it is warm enough for the boys to go outside to play). Is it any wonder why I am willing to go out of my way to help them too?

They should be in their apartment within the hour, but it was fun to have them for the night and I am sure I will be seeing a lot more of them for our various house projects this summer.

No comments: